PCC Yam & Kale Salad
- 2 pounds unpeeled Jewel or Garnet yams, cut into wedges 1-inch long by 1/2-inch wide
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 bunch green kale, tough stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss yams with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Spread out yams on a baking sheet.
Line a baking dish with foil and place garlic cloves in the center. Drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over cloves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold up the foil to create a packet and seal tightly.
Place both the baking sheet of yams and garlic in the oven. Roast yams until golden and tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Roast garlic until soft, 40 to 50 minutes. Allow both to cool.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool.
Increase oven temperature to 450° F.
Lightly coat kale with remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast until soft but lightly browned at the edges, about 3 minutes. Cool.
Combine roasted garlic cloves, vinegar and thyme in a food processor or blender; blend until smooth. Combine dressing, yams, kale and onions in a large bowl; toss to coat.